The performance of this recital ended an eleven-year absence of Scotto from the Japanese stage – a return she clearly relishes as she dedicates the rare musical gems in her performance to the Tokyo audience.
Together with famous arias from renowned operas, she performs some rare and neglected works, notably Edgar (Puccini’s first opera) and Sole e Amore (written before the success of La Bohème) as well as Respighi’s songs and five unpublished songs by Verdi.
Recorded: Kan i Hoken Hall, Gotanda, Tokyo, September 1984.
Bonus: The DVD also features a two-minute forward by Renata Scotto (sub – E/G/F/Sp) and a thirteen-minute video featuring the madness scene, Lucia di Lammermoor, Tokyo, 1967.
Contents:- Handel: Lascia ch’io pianga (from Rinaldo)
- A Scarlatti: Cara e dolce / Bellezza che s’ama
- Rossini: La Promessa, La Pastorella
- Verdi: Six Songs: La preghiera del poeta / Al tuo bambino / Il brigidino / E la vita un mar d’affanni / Pieta, Signor / Stornello
- Verdi: Tu che le vanita (from Don Carlo)
- Liszt: Petrarch Sonnets: Pace non trovo / Io vidi in terra angelici costumi
- Respighi: Soupir / Au milieu du jardin
- Puccini: Sole e amore / D’ogni dolor questo e il piu gran dolor (from Edgar)
- Mascagni: Senti, bambino (from Zanetto)
- Puccini: Vissi d’arte (from Tosca)
- Mascagni: Scherzo for soprano and piano, M’ama non m’ama
- Puccini: Tu? Tu? Piccolo Iddio! (from Madama Butterfly)